map
youtube twitter facebook Google Paly App Stores

Victims until today

4013

Syrian Company Proposes Reconstructing Yarmouk Camp for Palestinian Refugees in 15 Years

Published : 29-10-2019

Syrian Company Proposes Reconstructing Yarmouk Camp for Palestinian Refugees in 15 Years

The General Company for Technical Studies and Consultations, which has been tasked with preparing an organizational plan for Yarmouk Camp, has put forth a three-phase reconstruction proposal which it said takes an estimated time-span of 15 years.

The first phase of the plan is devoted to reconstructing areas with the highest damage rate; the second phase seeks to rehabilitate moderately-damaged areas; the third covers zones which have been lightly damaged.

Palestinian lawyer Wael Maw’ed said no official decision has been issued by the Syrian authorities over the bid, saying the proposed reconstruction mechanisms and time-span are just unacceptable.

Earlier this year, the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) published the results of an assessment of the damage to Syrian cities caused by seven years of relentless bombardment by the incumbent regime and its allies since 2011.

The analysis found out that as many as 5,489 buildings were destroyed in Yarmouk Camp for Palestinian refugees. The damage atlas used satellite-detected damage analysis to identify buildings that are either destroyed, or severely or moderately damaged. 

Most of Palestinian families taking shelter south of Damascus fled Yarmouk as a result of the tough blockade imposed by the government troops and also after ISIS grabbed hold of the camp on April 1, 2015.

Scores of other stranded families fled the camp following the 33-day military operation launched by the government forces on April 19, 2018. The Syrian government regained control over the camp and southern Damascus towns following the military operation. Dozens of civilians were killed and dozens more injured in the offensive. Over 80% of buildings have gone either totally or partially destroyed.

A number of activists and residents attempting to reach their homes in Yarmouk have been denied access into the area by Syrian government troops deployed at the main entrances to the camp. Reports of theft have also emerged after Syrian government forces grabbed hold of the camp and burglarized civilian homes. Pro-government troops stole electric kit, furniture, and wares, among other equipment.

Short URL : http://www.actionpal.org.uk/en/post/9286

The General Company for Technical Studies and Consultations, which has been tasked with preparing an organizational plan for Yarmouk Camp, has put forth a three-phase reconstruction proposal which it said takes an estimated time-span of 15 years.

The first phase of the plan is devoted to reconstructing areas with the highest damage rate; the second phase seeks to rehabilitate moderately-damaged areas; the third covers zones which have been lightly damaged.

Palestinian lawyer Wael Maw’ed said no official decision has been issued by the Syrian authorities over the bid, saying the proposed reconstruction mechanisms and time-span are just unacceptable.

Earlier this year, the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) published the results of an assessment of the damage to Syrian cities caused by seven years of relentless bombardment by the incumbent regime and its allies since 2011.

The analysis found out that as many as 5,489 buildings were destroyed in Yarmouk Camp for Palestinian refugees. The damage atlas used satellite-detected damage analysis to identify buildings that are either destroyed, or severely or moderately damaged. 

Most of Palestinian families taking shelter south of Damascus fled Yarmouk as a result of the tough blockade imposed by the government troops and also after ISIS grabbed hold of the camp on April 1, 2015.

Scores of other stranded families fled the camp following the 33-day military operation launched by the government forces on April 19, 2018. The Syrian government regained control over the camp and southern Damascus towns following the military operation. Dozens of civilians were killed and dozens more injured in the offensive. Over 80% of buildings have gone either totally or partially destroyed.

A number of activists and residents attempting to reach their homes in Yarmouk have been denied access into the area by Syrian government troops deployed at the main entrances to the camp. Reports of theft have also emerged after Syrian government forces grabbed hold of the camp and burglarized civilian homes. Pro-government troops stole electric kit, furniture, and wares, among other equipment.

Short URL : http://www.actionpal.org.uk/en/post/9286