map
youtube twitter facebook Google Paly App Stores

Victims until today

4048

Yarmouk Residents Launch Calls for Urgent Reconstruction

Published : 28-11-2018

Yarmouk Residents Launch Calls for Urgent Reconstruction

Palestinian families displaced from Yarmouk Camp called on the concerned authorities to allow them a safe return to their homes and press ahead with reconstruction projects.

The families said they have been denied access to their homes by the Syrian security forces under the pretext of ongoing debris-clearance works and in spite of an official decree green-lighting their return.

A few weeks ago, Syria’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates Faysal Miqdad said the government has officially signaled the go-ahead for the return of Palestinian refugees to Yarmouk Camp.

A decision issued by Syria’s Council of Ministers during its weekly session, held on November 11, tasked local authorities in Damascus with rehabilitating infrastructure and destroyed facilities in Yarmouk Camp so as to pave the way for the safe return of the displaced residents.

Minister of Local Administration and Environment Hussein Makhlouf said at the time that the decision aims to task Damascus governorate with missions previously undertaken by Yarmouk municipality in an attempt to boost reconstruction plans and facilitate civilians’ return at the soonest time possible.

Activists said, however, that the government forces deployed at the main entrance to Yarmouk stipulated that an access permit be issued by the concerned branches set up in Street 30 and that residence documents be handed over to local authorities in order to allow civilians’ access to their homes.

The Syrian government forces regained control over Yarmouk Camp and southern Damascus towns following a 33-day military operation launched in April 2018. Dozens of civilians were killed and dozens more injured in the offensive. Over 80% of buildings have gone either totally or partially destroyed in the warfare.

Short URL : https://www.actionpal.org.uk/en/post/8009

Palestinian families displaced from Yarmouk Camp called on the concerned authorities to allow them a safe return to their homes and press ahead with reconstruction projects.

The families said they have been denied access to their homes by the Syrian security forces under the pretext of ongoing debris-clearance works and in spite of an official decree green-lighting their return.

A few weeks ago, Syria’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates Faysal Miqdad said the government has officially signaled the go-ahead for the return of Palestinian refugees to Yarmouk Camp.

A decision issued by Syria’s Council of Ministers during its weekly session, held on November 11, tasked local authorities in Damascus with rehabilitating infrastructure and destroyed facilities in Yarmouk Camp so as to pave the way for the safe return of the displaced residents.

Minister of Local Administration and Environment Hussein Makhlouf said at the time that the decision aims to task Damascus governorate with missions previously undertaken by Yarmouk municipality in an attempt to boost reconstruction plans and facilitate civilians’ return at the soonest time possible.

Activists said, however, that the government forces deployed at the main entrance to Yarmouk stipulated that an access permit be issued by the concerned branches set up in Street 30 and that residence documents be handed over to local authorities in order to allow civilians’ access to their homes.

The Syrian government forces regained control over Yarmouk Camp and southern Damascus towns following a 33-day military operation launched in April 2018. Dozens of civilians were killed and dozens more injured in the offensive. Over 80% of buildings have gone either totally or partially destroyed in the warfare.

Short URL : https://www.actionpal.org.uk/en/post/8009