map
youtube twitter facebook Google Paly App Stores

Victims until today

4048

Displaced Families Call for Urgent Return to Yarmouk Camp

Published : 10-03-2020

Displaced Families Call for Urgent Return to Yarmouk Camp

Palestinian families displaced from Yarmouk camp have urged local authorities in Damascus to backtrack on the new organizational plan which they said gives the Syrian government a greenlight to take hold of all buildings in the camp.

Families who lost their documents in the warfare expressed their fears over the government’s projected denial of their right to compensation.

Palestinian families continue to call on the concerned authorities to allow them a safe return to their homes and to press ahead with reconstruction projects.

On January 07, 2020, Palestinian lawyer Nour AlDeen AlSaman, a resident of Yarmouk Camp, called on Palestinian refugees to file lawsuits in order to return to their homes and retrieve their properties in Yarmouk.

AlSaman’s calls came in response to the reluctance maintained by local authorities in Damascus regarding the residents’ ongoing appeals to rehabilitate infrastructure and allow displaced civilians to safely return to the camp.

The lawyer said concerned authorities have been dragging their feet despite the presidential decision green-lighting the safe return of Yarmouk residents to their abandoned homes.

He warned of ongoing attempts to alter the demographic character of the camp and blur its identity as a living witness to the Palestinian refugee plight.

Last year, the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) published the results of an assessment of the damage to Syrian cities caused by seven years of relentless bombardment by the incumbent regime and its allies since 2011.

The analysis found out that as many as 5,489 buildings were destroyed in Yarmouk Camp for Palestinian refugees. The damage atlas used satellite-detected damage analysis to identify buildings that are either destroyed, or severely or moderately damaged.

Most of Palestinian families taking shelter south of Damascus fled Yarmouk as a result of the tough blockade imposed by the government troops and also after ISIS grabbed hold of the camp on April 1, 2015.

Scores of other stranded families fled the camp following the 33-day military operation launched by the government forces on April 19, 2018. The Syrian government regained control over the camp and southern Damascus towns following the military operation. Dozens of civilians were killed and dozens more injured in the offensive. Over 80% of buildings have gone either totally or partially destroyed.

Short URL : https://www.actionpal.org.uk/en/post/9818

Palestinian families displaced from Yarmouk camp have urged local authorities in Damascus to backtrack on the new organizational plan which they said gives the Syrian government a greenlight to take hold of all buildings in the camp.

Families who lost their documents in the warfare expressed their fears over the government’s projected denial of their right to compensation.

Palestinian families continue to call on the concerned authorities to allow them a safe return to their homes and to press ahead with reconstruction projects.

On January 07, 2020, Palestinian lawyer Nour AlDeen AlSaman, a resident of Yarmouk Camp, called on Palestinian refugees to file lawsuits in order to return to their homes and retrieve their properties in Yarmouk.

AlSaman’s calls came in response to the reluctance maintained by local authorities in Damascus regarding the residents’ ongoing appeals to rehabilitate infrastructure and allow displaced civilians to safely return to the camp.

The lawyer said concerned authorities have been dragging their feet despite the presidential decision green-lighting the safe return of Yarmouk residents to their abandoned homes.

He warned of ongoing attempts to alter the demographic character of the camp and blur its identity as a living witness to the Palestinian refugee plight.

Last year, the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) published the results of an assessment of the damage to Syrian cities caused by seven years of relentless bombardment by the incumbent regime and its allies since 2011.

The analysis found out that as many as 5,489 buildings were destroyed in Yarmouk Camp for Palestinian refugees. The damage atlas used satellite-detected damage analysis to identify buildings that are either destroyed, or severely or moderately damaged.

Most of Palestinian families taking shelter south of Damascus fled Yarmouk as a result of the tough blockade imposed by the government troops and also after ISIS grabbed hold of the camp on April 1, 2015.

Scores of other stranded families fled the camp following the 33-day military operation launched by the government forces on April 19, 2018. The Syrian government regained control over the camp and southern Damascus towns following the military operation. Dozens of civilians were killed and dozens more injured in the offensive. Over 80% of buildings have gone either totally or partially destroyed.

Short URL : https://www.actionpal.org.uk/en/post/9818